II TIMOTHY 1: 2-5
2) Timothy, my beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace [inner calm and spiritual well-being] from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3) I thank God, whom I worship and serve with a clear conscience the way my forefathers did, as I constantly remember you in my prayers night 4) and day and as I recall your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. 5 ) I remember your sincere and unqualified faith [the surrendering of your entire self to God in Christ with confident trust in His power, wisdom and goodness, a faith] which first lived in [the heart of] your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am confident that it is in you as well.
Timothy’s grandmother and mother were what I call Word Mothers. It was what they had in them that they were able to impart to young Timothy. It was his surrender of his entire self to God in Christ, with confident trust in His power, wisdom, and goodness which was a living faith in the heart of his mother and grandmother that made him a choice servant for the Lord. They were what I call Word Mommas. Both GayNell and I had Word Mommas. They trained us to bend and go in the right direction of life with God.
I have developed a few characteristics of Word Mommas that you may want to look over.
- A Word Momma has not only heard The Word, she lives it.
- A Word Momma chooses to invest in family first.
- A Word Momma is like Mary who aligned with God’s Word regarding her life.
- A Word Momma is long-suffering and patient. Paul spoke of his behavior among the people of Thessalonica like this: “But we behaved gently when we were among you, like a devoted mother tenderly caring for her own children.”
- A Word Momma is a teacher, a preacher, a corrector, a yardstick, an intercessor, a friend of God, a lover of your soul.
My Word Momma introduced me to all the characters of the Bible: Adam and Eve, Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebekah, Moses and Zipporah, King Saul and King David (the shepherd King). She introduced me to women like Esther, Ruth, and Deborah, and sons like Absalom and Solomon. I learned from her the Old and New Testament, heroes and failures. Samson was a second chance man, along with Jonah and others, whom God loved with an undying love. My Word Momma was where my love for the Word came from.
GayNell and I were blessed to have Word Mommas. My Mom never preached at me. She just lived the Word in front of me. GayNell’s Mom was a God dependent woman, and each of them were praying women. You cannot be a Word Momma and not be a woman of prayer.
BE A WORD MOMMA! THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRAIN UP A CHILD IN THE WAY THEY SHOULD GO. JESUS WAS THE WORD, BUT HE TRAINED BY EXAMPLE. CATHERINE BOOTHE, THE LEGENDARY SALVATION ARMY PREACHER, HAD THIS TO SAY ABOUT BEING A MOTHER. “ I WILL NOT RAISE AN EVIL CHILD.” SHE WAS A TRUE WORD MOMMA.
WE BELIEVE IN YOU!
Your loving pastors,
Cleddie & GayNell Keith
P.S. HAVE A GREAT MOMMA’S DAY!