I READ A STATEMENT IN REGARD TO COMMUNION THAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION. A REFERENCE WAS MADE IN REGARD TO THE PASSOVER SUPPER, CALLING THE UNLEAVENED BREAD, “THE SWEET BREAD FOR THE SOUL”.
When you stop to think about it, that is exactly what it is. It is the sweetness of redemption that is born out of such bitterness that the Son of God had to suffer from the garden to the cross. As you know, we receive the Lord’s Supper in almost every service we have. The reason is that I have a personal conviction, i.e., when I receive scripturally as we are instructed, I have a personal revival. For me, the Lord’s Supper is a feast of faith and allegiance. How should we come to the Lord’s table?
1. Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to His Cross I cling. NOT OF WORKS WHICH I HAVE DONE, BUT ACCORDING TO HIS MERCY HE HAS SAVED ME.
2. I come with no merit of my own, but with TOTAL TRUST IN THE BLOOD SACRIFICE OF CHRIST.
3. We take our clothes to the cleaners when they need to be cleansed, right? So we come to The Lord’s Table to have the Cleaner do a thorough check of our wedding garment. “He cleanses us from all sin”. INSPECTION/ REFLECTION/CONNECTION
4. All presumption must be set aside, remembering Christ’s words, “My blood is drink indeed.” Oh the Blood, the Blood, is my only plea, Hallelujah it cleanseth Me. “ COMMUNION IS LIKE A TRANSFUSION FOR THE WEAK AND SICKLY.
5. We come with the faith of possibility, knowing that there was resurrection victory beyond His surrender, and there is the assurance of resurrection victory as we surrender. I KNOW MY REDEEMER LIVES!
6. The hearts of the disciples on the road to Emmaus burned within them when he talked with them by the way, and their eyes were opened as He broke the bread with them. SEEING THROUGH THE TRUTH TO THE TRUTH OF THE TRUTH.
7. It is in recognition of the new covenant, it is a covenant meal, and we are empowered by knowing that we are in covenant with the One who bought us and brought us from death to life. THIS COVENANT IS FULL OF PROMISES, BY WHICH JESUS MAKES US PART OF HIS UNSHAKABLE KINGDOM.
8. It turns us into vanguards of proclamation. We are to become a demonstration of our faith and living proclamation that the King of ‘death ‘, ‘hell ‘ and the ‘grave ‘, will return as He said He would. All those who love His appearing will see Him, and we shall be as He is. OUR HOPE IS BEYOND THIS WORLD!
9. It is a pilgrim’s meal, as was offered to Abraham on the road toward home from a battle by the ancient priest, as if to imply the bread and wine are to replenish and nourish us on our life journey. THIS IS THE VICTORY THAT OVERCOMES THE WORLD, EVEN OUR FAITH!
10. Sweet bread of the soul, and the covenant cup. OH, WHAT A WONDERFUL MEAL, INDEED.
WE BELIEVE IN YOU WHO ARE BROUGHT BACK FROM THE DEAD, THROUGH THE EVERLASTING COVENANT.
Cleddie and GayNell